Monday, March 7, 2011

Being female in a man's world

It can be difficult to be a female staffer in MiLB. We are constantly surrounded by men and constantly have to prove ourselves far more than the men. In terms of dress at least in my office the women also dress much more formally than the men. Personally I think that the women would not be able to get away with dressing as the men do. In our society it is important for the women to look good. Now I am not saying that the men are wearing sweatpants to work, but they are considerably less dressed than the women. I know that the women average over an hour of time to get ready for work in the morning. Many of the men in my office wake up 10 minutes before they leave and are still out the door in time. 

Then there is the problem of attraction. Attraction is normal, and is going to happen to everyone. We can't help it. The biggest no-no, however, is attraction between players and the female staffers and this is where we get in trouble. We have to be very careful to prove that we are not in this profession to "hook up" with the players on the baseball team. Females in sports have gotten a bad name through other females who work in sports that have crossed the line with players. I am definitely jealous of guys who don't have to worry about this. They don't have to worry that what they are wearing is too suggestive to the players or other staff members who see them. 

There is a lot to worry about as a female MiLB staffer and a lot to prove. I hope that through my interactions with the guys that I work with that I will prove that women are just as worthy in this profession as men and that we know just as much about sports as they do. Women are already behind enough in the working worlds its hard to be put behind even farther. 

No comments:

Post a Comment